How to Read Google eBooks on Your Kindle Fire
|How to sideload the IndieBound Android App on Kindle Fire
Reading Google eBooks on a Kindle Fire entails "sideloading" the Indiebound Reader App (which also works for the Nook, Android, iPhone, and iPad -- you can find the app in your device's app store).
Please note: IndieBound Reader was not specifically developed to run on the Kindle Fire. However, the app has been tested with good results on this device.
To install the IndieBound Reader app:
And now, to buy an eBook:
- First, configure your Kindle to allow sideloaded apps. Tap the Settings gear at the top right of the home screen, and then tap the "More" button.
- From the Settings menu, select "Device"
- Toward the bottom of this screen is a toggle that says "Allow Installation of Applications From Unknown Sources." Switch this toggle from Off to On.
- A security warning appears. Tap OK. You can now install sideloaded apps.
- Point your browser to http://www.indiebound.org/reader
- Tap the green button that reads "Download IndieBound Reader for Android"
- When the download is complete, a banner notification will appear at the top of the screen saying, "Download Complete" and a new notification will appear. Tap this notification at the top of the screen, and then tap on the successful download message to begin installation.
- You now have the IndieBound Reader app on your Kindle Fire! It will appear with your other apps on the "Apps" screen.
- (Optional) If you would like to disable sideloaded apps again, simply follow the first few steps and change the "Allow Installation of Applications From Unknown Sources" toggle back to Off again.
Reading your eBook:
- Upon launching the app, the welcome screen will prompt you to choose your indie bookstore. You can search for "Changing Hands Bookstore", "Tempe", or by our zipcode (85283). Once you've selected Changing Hands as your preferred bookstore, the Indiebound App will default to buying and reading eBooks from our website (to change this, you can always select the "Choose Another Bookstore" from the storefront page).
- You'll be prompted to log-in with your Google account. You will then be directed to changinghands.com. There you can search, browse, and buy eBooks as usual. Search by title or author, add books to your cart, and checkout. Your eBooks will automatically be saved to your IndieBound Library.
» Tap the Library button in the main toolbar of the Indiebound Reader. You can view your books by cover or as a list. The library can be sorted by author, title, or most recently read by tapping the "sort" buttons at the top of the screen. Tapping a title will open the book, and swipe left or right to turn the pages.