Our consignment program allows Changing Hands Bookstore to carry and feature a much wider variety of self-published and print on demand titles than we could through traditional purchasing. Our buyers have done a pretty good job over the last 36 years but they do occasionally miss titles that our customers would like. The consignment program is a back door to give authors whose books we don't stock and who believe their works would sell well in our store to show us what we're missing. When consignment books achieve a solid sales history, they become eligible for conversion to wholesaler fulfilled titles.
GENERAL CONSIGNMENT INFO
- Books must have a spine displaying the title and author's name (no spiral-bound books).
- Upon sale, we pay 60% for a consignment.
- The basic administrative fee for a consignment is $25.
- Changing Hands agrees to display books on a consignment basis for a minimum of 3 months. As books sell, we may request additional copies from consignor.
- If there is a 3-month period without sales, we will return books by mail.
- At the end of the consignment period, we will send any unsold books and any payment accrued from book sales to an address provided by the consignor.
- We will pay only for items sold. Damaged or stolen items are the sole financial responsibility of the consignor.
- If we decline to carry your title, books must be picked up within 30 days of notification. Books left longer than 30 days will be donated or given away.
LOCAL AUTHOR PROMOTIONAL PACKAGE
For $100 we will feature your book for one calendar month in a display at the front of the store next to our Staff Picks case, putting your book in front of hundreds more potential readers. You can even renew for an additional month for just $75 if space is available. The $100 fee is in addition to the standard $25 administration fee.
SUCCESSFUL CONSIGNMENT TIPS
- Encourage friends, family, and other contacts to purchase your book at Changing Hands.
- Contact your local media and mailing lists to announce that your book is available at Changing Hands.
- Send out press releases, review copies, and other promotional materials.
- Get involved with book clubs, libraries, and other community organizations. Greater success comes from a wide array of author-coordinated promotion.
Interested in participating in our consignment program?
Send your contact information via email to email@example.comWe understand that this program won't appeal to every author and welcome feedback from all.