Thank you for considering Changing Hands Bookstore as a venue for your event. Because we host more than 300 booksignings and workshops each year, our space is in great demand. In order to evaluate and select the best events for our community, a formal proposal is required. There is also a cooperative advertising fee, which varies depending on the type of event you're interested in. (Details below.)
Please provide a copy of your book. If requesting a talk, booksigning, or workshop, please add the following:
- One-page book summary.*
- Information regarding past publicity and events.
- Short bio that relates your experience with your proposal/book.* (Please include references we can contact.)
- Number of personal contacts that you believe will attend the event, plus a summary of planned outreach efforts (Facebook, Twitter, e-mail list, etc.).
- If you self-published your book or published through a print-on-demand service, can you supply books for the event at our standard 40% discount?
If we agree to host your event, we require a cooperative advertising fee:
Traditional Signing: $300
Fee includes a seasoned event host and the use of our event space and AV equipment (if required) for talks, signings and workshops. It also includes:
• Inclusion in our media calendar, which reaches our extensive contacts in radio, print, and TV, who may (or may not) be interested in covering your event.*
• Event details published in our print calendar (3,000 copies), our email newsletter (14,000 subscribers), and on our website.
• Book sale reports to the New York Times, Nielson BookScan and IndieBound.org. When relevant, we also help coordinate cross-promotion practices with other organizations.
Table Signing: $75
Author receives a small table in a high-traffic area of the store from which to talk with potential readers and sign books, if requested. Table signings may run no longer than two hours. Author's book is featured on our "event wall" at the front of the store, alongside the books of national touring authors also appearing that month. Fee includes the same promotional services as the Traditional Signing model.
Workshop or Lecture: $150
Author or presenter receives the use of our Community Room, which holds 33 people. If you wish to charge a fee for your workshop, Changing Hands receives 40% of total ticket sales, and we can even include your book in the ticket price. (We can also sell your book on consignment. The author keeps 60% of sales, while Changing Hands keeps 40%.) We provide your attendees the ability to pay through our point-of-sale system by check, credit card, debit card or cash. Fee includes a seasoned event host, the use of our event space and AV equipment, and the same promotional services as the Traditional Signing model.
*If the media is interested in an interview, we can help coordinate the schedule. While media coverage can never be guaranteed, there are some strategies to help garner additional publicity:
• Does your event or book have a local angle?
• Is your event or book timely?
• Is your event or book newsworthy? If so, how?
When submitting your proposal, please indicate the signing model you're interested in (Traditional, Table Signing, or Workshop), and that you understand that there will be a $300, $150, or $75 cooperative advertising fee, payable in advance, to confirm your event.
We will review your proposal and contact you within 30 days. Please advise us if you are working with a non-profit organization or plan to donate a portion of your proceeds so that we may take this into account. Fees do not apply to book groups and foreign language conversation groups.
*Please note that we reserve the right to edit event and author descriptions as we deem fit for our print, advertising, email, website, and calendar materials.
Drop off or send materials to Changing Hands Bookstore, Event Proposal, 6428 S McClintock Dr, Tempe, AZ, 85283, or email to email@example.com