An International Textbook, from A to Z
Highway Engineering: Pavements, Materials and Control of Quality covers the basic principles of pavement management, highlights recent advancements, and details the latest industry standards and techniques in the global market. Utilizing the author's more than 30 years of teaching, researching, and consulting experience, this text focuses on the design, construction, maintenance, and management of pavements for roads and highways, and covers the main topics in highway engineering. The author integrates pavement materials, material testing for acceptability and quality assurance, asphalt mix design, flexible and rigid pavement design, construction, maintenance and strengthening procedures, quality control of production and acceptance of asphalts, pavement evaluation, asphalt plants, and pavement recycling. He also includes both European and American (ASTM and AASHTO) standards and practice, and is extensively illustrated with references, tables, graphs, charts, and photographs.
The book contains 18 chapters that cover:
- Soils for roadworks
- Aggregates for unbound, hydraulically bound materials, and bituminous mixtures
- Bitumen and bituminous binders
- Laboratory tests and properties of paving bitumen and bitumen emulsion
- Hot and cold bituminous mixtures
- Fundamental mechanical properties of bituminous mixtures and testing
- Production, transportation, laying, and compaction of bituminous mixtures
- Quality control and acceptance of bituminous mixtures
- Methods for determining stresses and strains in pavements
- Pavement design and construction
- Thickness design methodologies for flexible and rigid pavements
- Pavement maintenance
- Rehabilitation and strengthening
- Pavement evaluation
- Equipment for measuring surface and structural characteristics
- Pavement management
- Pavement recycling
Written for civil engineering students and engineers engaged in highway projects or laboratory testing, Highway Engineering: Pavements, Materials and Control of Quality covers pavement engineering comprehensively as a textbook for undergraduates and graduates, and a valuable reference for practicing professionals.
About the Author
Dr. Athanassios Nikolaides is a professor at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, and director of the Highway Engineering Laboratory in the Department of Civil Engineering. He has published more than 90 papers in journals and conference proceedings, presented more than 40 additional papers at various seminars, and published three books in Greek. He is a member of the editorial advisory panel of the ICE (UK) Journal of Construction Materials, and the founder and president of the International Conference on Bituminous Mixtures and Pavements and has served as a consultant to several organizations and corporations in Greece, Europe, and Indonesia.