A fascinating journey through the lesser known details of Irish history
Packed full of myths, legends, inventions, and adventures, I Never Knew That About Ireland visit’s each of the island’s four provinces, unearthing hidden gems of history. Discover where ideas were born, where dreams were inspired, and where unforgettable figures from Ireland's past now slumber. Did you know...
• That the holy mountain Croagh Patrick is where St Patrick is said to have driven all the snakes in Ireland into the sea?
• That the burial chamber at Newgrange is the oldest solar observatory in the world?
• That there is a bathroom in Lismore Castle dedicated to Fred Astaire?
• That Coca Cola began its path toward success on the Emerald Isle?
• That the designs for the White House, the Sydney opera house, and the Louvre Pyramid sprang from the minds of Irishmen?
Famous for their culture, the Irish are full of facts and stories you never knew. This compendium sheds light on those little-known historical gems, giving captivating insight into Ireland, its people, and its past. A perfect companion for an Irish vacation, for reminiscing on past visits, or for those whose hearts have never left, this book will have you exclaiming again and again: "Well, I never knew that!"
About the Author
Christopher Winn is the author of the bestselling I Never Knew That About Ireland as well as I Never Knew That About the Irish and I Never Knew That About London. He is a writer, quiz master and producer for theater and television who has written for many of England's most prestigious papers. He lives in London with his wife, who is also his illustrator.
"There's stuff in here that would have taken St. Patrick aback..." —Terry Wogan, BBC broadcaster & personality
"A colorful array of Irish trivia... an amusing companion to a conventional guidebook" —Sunday Telegraph (UK)
"Chock full of fascinating facts, funny stories, and exquisitely fine drawings...This is a fabulous book." —Hugh Montgomery-Massingberd, author of Great Houses of Ireland