Other Books in Series
- #2: The Incal #2: The Luminous Incal: Coffee Table Book (Limited) (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #3: The Incal #3: What Lies Beneath: Coffee Table Book (Limited) (Hardcover): $79.95
- #4: The Incal #4: What Is Above: Coffee Table Book (Limited) (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #5: The Incal #5: The Fifth Essence Part One: The Dreaming Galaxy: Coffee Table Book (Limited) (Hardcover): $79.95
- #6: The Incal #6: The Fifth Essence Part Two: Planet Difool: Coffee Table Book (Limited) (Hardcover): $79.95
As Bendis points out in his introduction, while not being as well known in the US as in its native Europe, this book has been ripped off and mimicked countless times in film and comics since it's release. It’s full of mind-blowing ideas and visuals, which for the early 80's were far ahead of their time and still resonate to this day. While it's been copied so many times, no one has been able to come close to striking the kind of magic that Jodorowsky and Moebius do together here. Which is one of those perfect marriages in comics between writer and illustrator that calls to mind the very best power-combos, like Gaiman and McKean or Morrison and Quietly. The story is about a lowly Class "R" Detective named John DiFool who comes into contact with an ancient, luminescent artifact known as "The Incal", which is a sentient source of cosmic power. The story quite literally follows the symbolic progression of the tarot, beginning at 0 with the Fool (DiFool, see what they did there?) and tracing the character’s journey to mystic enlightenment to the end as he battles with the forces of darkness and discord to quite literally save the universe. The book is loaded with esoteric symbolism and essentially serves as a heady, mystic parable with ideas and images that leap electric up off the page. — From Salvatore's Picks
The Sci-Fi masterpiece by Moebius and Jodorowsky about the tribulations of the shabby detective John Difool as he searches for the precious and coveted Incal. John Difool, a low-class detective in a degenerate dystopian world, finds his life turned upside down when he discovers an ancient, mystical artifact called The Incal. Difool's adventures will bring him into conflict with the galaxy's greatest warrior, the Metabaron, and will pit him against the awesome powers of the Technopope. These encounters and many more make up a tale of comic and cosmic proportions that has Difool fighting for not only his very survival, but also the survival of the entire universe.