COVID-19 is possibly the world's biggest mass-disabling event. This ambitious book gives a humanized view of chronic illness while offering a poignant reminder of the millions of people with long COVID. The collection is rich with living history from the stories, essays, and poems of 45 long haulers.
Writer Mary Ladd, a one-time Anthony Bourdain collaborator, leads the team behind an accessible paperback, offering tales of persisting symptoms and navigating the healthcare system to poignant reflections on grief, loss, and hope. This anthology is a must-read for anyone seeking a deeper understanding of the long-term effects of COVID-19.
- Featuring Andrew David King, Pato Hebert, Nina Storey, Emily Pinkerton, Morgan Stephens, Nikki Stewart, Sonya Huber, Ann E. Wallace, Alexis Misko, and others.
- Uses a patient-centric, experiential literary approach that is brave and insightful.
- A powerful testament to human resilience, strength, and solidarity.
"Being part of the first-ever Long COVID Reader is significant because the pandemic was a first for the world, and our stories matter. This book is meaningful as it enables the forgotten Long COVID community to break their silence and contributes to the next phase of my healing journey." -Dr. Sabrina McQueen Johnson, wife, mother, and retired school principal.
"Surviving COVID was a gift of new life. As a long hauler, I am reminded of that every day. The Long COVID Reader will be a gift that keeps on giving to others." -Steven Lewis, author, poet, a former mentor at Empire State College, and current Sarah Lawrence College Writing Institute faculty.
"I want to share my story so no other woman is made to believe her symptoms are all in her head. May our narratives provide solidarity for patients, information for caregivers and providers, and increased awareness and urgency for action from the masses." -Haley Nelson, age 19. She was athletic, academic, and animated before Long-COVID, ME/CFS, POTS, and small fiber neuropathy uprooted her life.
Fans of The Invisible Kingdom: Reimagining Chronic Illness, The Long Haul, and The Long COVID Survival Guide will love this book.
This book is a must-read for
- Anyone experiencing long COVID symptoms
- Caregivers, family, friends, and anyone looking to understand long COVID
- Medical professionals and researchers