Authors of young adult fiction, including several New York Times bestsellers, share strategies, tips, and tricks for writing engaging work for tween and teen readers in three workshop sessions spanning key topics.
Then join us from 2-4pm
for our annual YAllapalooza panel followed by a mix and mingle booksigning (FREE).
This year's panelists include Scott Savage (Embers of Destruction
), Bill Konigsberg (Honestly Ben
), Stephanie Elliot (Sad Perfect
), Amy Lukavics (Ravenous
), and Tom Leveen (Hellworld
- All admission options include entry to all three (3) workshops.
- → Option 1 ($60): Admission for one (1) person. → Option 2 ($70): Admission for one (1) person with lunch provided by First Draft Book Bar.
- Register below or call 602.274.0067.
- Event guidelines may be subject to changes.
- Refunds will not be issued within three days of the event.
- The YA panel from 2-4pm is free to the public.
FREE PARKING / LIGHT RAIL
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
- There is plenty of free public parking west of Changing Hands Phoenix, at 400 and 444 West Camelback. Additional free public parking across Camelback to the south.
- Don't want to drive? Take the Light Rail! It lets off at the Central Avenue/Camelback Park-and-Ride, which has hundreds of free parking spaces across the street from Changing Hands.
J. SCOTT SAVAGE is the author of the Farworld middle grade fantasy series and the Case File 13 middle grade monster series. He has been writing and publishing books for over ten years. He has visited over 400 elementary schools, dozens of writers conferences, and taught many writing classes. He has four children and lives with his wife Jennifer and their Border Collie, Pepper, in a windy valley of the Rocky Mountains.
BILL KONIGSBERG is the author of Openly Straight
, which won the SCBWI Sid Fleischman Award for Humor and was named to the YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults list; The Porcupine of Truth
, which won the Stonewall Book Award and was named a Booklist Editors' Choice selection; and Out of the Pocket
, which won the Lambda Literary Award. Bill lives in Chandler, Arizona, with his husband, Chuck.
STEPHANIE ELLIOT is the author of the young adult novel Sad Perfect
(Margaret Ferguson Books/FSG, Winter, 2017), which was inspired by her own daughter's journey with ARFID, Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder. She has written for a variety of websites and magazines and has been a passionate advocate of other authors by promoting their books on the Internet for years. She has been, or still is, all of the following: a book reviewer, an anonymous parenting columnist, a mommy blogger, an editor, a professional napper, a reformed Diet Coke drinker, a gecko breeder and the author of three self-published novels. A Florida native, Stephanie has lived near Chicago and Philadelphia and currently calls Scottsdale, Arizona home. She graduated from Northern Illinois University, where she received her Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. Stephanie and her husband Scott have three children: AJ, McKaelen and Luke. They are all her favorites.
AMY LUKAVICS lurks within the pine-topped mountains of Arizona, along with her husband and two precious squidlings. When she isn't reading or writing creepy stories, she enjoys cooking, crafting, and playing video games. Daughters Unto Devils
was her debut novel.
TOM LEVEEN was born and raised in Arizona, where he lives with his wife. Party
was his first young adult novel. Tom was previously the artistic director of Chyro Arts Venue, an all-ages performance space hosting live music, theatre, visual art, and independent film, where he enjoyed watching new, YA bands taking the stage for three years.