DOBSON HIGH SCHOOL AUDITORIUM
1501 W Guadalupe Rd
Mesa 85202 [map]
Will call opens at 6pm;
Doors open at 6:30pm.
The New York Times bestselling poet and multi-platinum singer-songwriter visits for an acoustic mini-performance and to sign and discuss her inspirational memoir with Arizona Republic music writer Ed Masley.
When Jewel's first album, Pieces of You
, topped the charts in 1995, her emotional voice and vulnerable performance were groundbreaking. Now, with more than thirty million albums sold worldwide, Jewel tells the story of her life, and the lessons learned from her experience and her music.
Living on a homestead in Alaska, Jewel learned to yodel at age five, and joined her parents' entertainment act. Behind a strong-willed family life, however, there was also abuse and trauma. At age fifteen, she moved out. Soon after, she was accepted to the a prestigious arts academy in Michigan, and there she began writing her own songs. Jewel was eighteen and homeless in San Diego when a radio DJ aired a bootleg version of one of her songs. By the time she was twenty-one, her debut had gone multi-platinum.
There is much more to Jewel's story, though, one complicated by family legacies, by crippling fear and insecurity, and by the circumstances in which she managed to flourish and find happiness despite these obstacles. In Never Broken
she reflects on how she survived, and how writing songs, poetry, and prose has saved her life many times over. She writes lyrically about the natural wonders of Alaska, about pain and loss, about the healing power of motherhood, and about discovering her own identity years after the entire world had discovered the beauty of her songs.
You can purchase tickets in-store at Changing Hands Tempe (or by phone) until 3pm, and at the venue will-call after 6pm.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- 2 TICKETS (each admits one) are free with the purchase of Never Broken from Changing Hands Bookstore.
- Let us know on the form below if you would like one or two admissions with your book purchase. You can receive up to two admissions per book purchase.
- If you would like more than two seats, please purchase additional copies of Never Broken.
- Jewel will personalize on request.
- Jewel will not sign any memorabilia, but will sign all copies of Never Broken and Picking Up the Pieces (her new album) purchased from Changing Hands Bookstore.
- Photography of any kind is prohibited at all times.
- Details will be posted here as they are announced.
- Event details may be subject to day-of unannounced changes.
JEWEL is an American singer, songwriter, poet, actress, philanthropist, and mother. She has received four Grammy nominations and has sold over thirty million albums worldwide. She is the founder of Higher Ground for Humanity, a nonprofit organization that works in education, research, program development, and building alliances with charities. Raised in Homer, Alaska, she currently lives in Tennessee and Colorado with her son.