The iconic bassist and co-founder of the Red Hot Chili Peppers shares his fascinating origin story, complete with "all the dizzying highs and the gutter lows you'd want from an LA street rat turned world famous rock star."
GET YOUR BOOKS AND TICKETS
Order your ticket package(s) at the bottom of the page or directly from Eventbrite. We'll send you an email confirmation. Want additional signed copies of Acid for the Children? Just add them to your Eventbrite order at checkout. You can pick them up at the venue on event night at will-call.
TICKET PACKAGES → Ticket Package 1: $37.58 + fees: Admission for one (1) person and one (1) signed copy of Acid for the Children. → Ticket Package 2: $42.58 + fees: Admission for two (2) people and one (1) signed copy of Acid for the Children.
- Purchase below (at the bottom of the page).
CAN'T MAKE IT?
- WILL-CALL opens at 6pm in the Orpheum lobby. Please check in here to be admitted into the event.
- PICK UP YOUR SIGNED BOOK at will-call in the Orpheum lobby beginning at 6pm.
- SEATING is general admission and opens at 6pm.
- PARKING is available in several lots near the Orpheum. Check out this map for more info »
- EVENT GUIDELINES may be subject to changes.
- REFUNDS will not be issued within seven days of the event.
- If you miss the event, tickets are non-refundable. In order to receive your book, you will need to contact us within 30 days of the event. After 30 days, you will receive a trade credit to Changing Hands Bookstore for the cost of the book + tax.
Call 602.274.0067 to order a signed copy of Acid for the Children
and we'll have it signed and reserved for you. We also ship anywhere in the US and to most international locations!
ABOUT THE BOOK
In Acid for the Children
, Flea takes readers on a deeply personal and revealing tour of his formative years, spanning from Australia to the New York City suburbs to, finally, Los Angeles. Through hilarious anecdotes, poetical meditations, and occasional flights of fantasy, Flea deftly chronicles the experiences that forged him as an artist, a musician, and a young man. His dreamy, jazz-inflected prose makes the Los Angeles of the 1970s and 80s come to gritty, glorious life, including the potential for fun, danger, mayhem, or inspiration that lurked around every corner. It is here that young Flea, looking to escape a turbulent home, found family in a community of musicians, artists, and junkies who also lived on the fringe. He spent most of his time partying and committing petty crimes. But it was in music where he found a higher meaning, a place to channel his frustration, loneliness, and love. This left him open to the life-changing moment when he and his best friends, soul brothers, and partners-in-mischief came up with the idea to start their own band, which became the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Acid for the Children
is the debut of a stunning new literary voice, whose prose is as witty, entertaining, and wildly unpredictable as the author himself. It's a tenderly evocative coming-of-age story and a raucous love letter to the power of music and creativity from one of the most renowned musicians of our time.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
is an Australian-born American musician and occasional actor. He is best known as the bassist and co-founding member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and co-founder of The Silverlake Conservatory of Music.