|CHANGING HANDS TEMPE
6428 South McClintock Drive
Tempe, Arizona 85283
|CHANGING HANDS PHOENIX
300 West Camelback Road
Phoenix, Arizona 85013
At Changing Hands Bookstore and First Draft Book Bar, we have a passion for the written word and believe that books can change lives. We take pleasure in being independent and locally owned. We value the opportunity to bring together books, community, beer, wine, coffee, and people in a friendly atmosphere. We offer a wide selection, good value, and friendly customer service. We serve our community through our support of education and the arts and through charitable contributions to other organizations and institutions that serve our local community and human rights throughout the world. We are an equal opportunity employer and make hiring decisions based on the qualifications of our applicants. As a community bookstore, we welcome a broad applicant pool that reflects the community in which we operate. For this reason, we encourage members of all historically underrepresented or marginalized groups—including BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ persons—to apply for employment at CHB/FD. All applicants will receive equal consideration.
We are also committed to the youngest members of our community. Recognizing the importance of reading and its impact on a child's development, we seek out enthusiastic booksellers with an affinity for children's literature. Our children's departments are designed to be a welcoming environment where kids and teens feel at home in a space created just for them. The work here is highly customer-oriented, very detailed, and often physically demanding. To be successful at CHB/FD everyone must possess a passion for the written word and for our community. We highly value teamwork and communication.
We serve our customers in person, online, and on the phone. At least one weekend day is required of all frontline booksellers, as the weekends are our busiest times.
Changing Hands / First Draft has a benefits package, which includes a staff discount, holiday and sick pay, a medical plan, and a retirement plan. Other benefits to working here are less tangible, but apparent to book lovers. We operate with a participatory management style that encourages and expects involvement and communication with all employees.
Thank you again for your time and interest in Changing Hands/First Draft. Should a position become available that combines your interests and qualifications with our specific needs, you will receive a call from us. When applying for a part-time position, please note our hours of operation. Changing Hands/First Draft hires for full and part time positions. Part time positions must work a minimum of 20 hours a week. We do not have any summer seasonal opportunities. During November – December, we hire temporary seasonal part time positions.
→ BOOKSELLERS - Phoenix / Tempe Location
Booksellers start at $15 an hour, after training. Paid Time Off (PTO) for all employees, Simple IRA, employee discount and health, dental and vision for employees 30+ hours a week. At least one weekend day is required of all frontline booksellers, as the weekends are our busiest times.
Bookseller Job Description:
- Understanding of the CHB mission, history, and the fine details of CHB customer service, inventory, events, and food and beverage offerings at First Draft.
- Excellent and friendly service for every customer whether they be in the store, online or on the phone. Customer service requires patience, kindness, and the ability to work with diverse communities and customer needs. Excellent customer service that requires following up and following through.
- Ability to provide curbside pickup service - picking up orders and running them outside the store to the waiting customer.
- Gain an excellent knowledge of our book and gift inventory, with the ability to make recommendations and upsell merchandise. A love of reading and the ability to provide written and verbal staff recommendations for books.
- Gain complete and accurate knowledge of our in-store and virtual events and workshop programming. Able to talk about events and assist customers with registration and check-in through Eventbrite.
- Ability to properly shelve and restock books and gifts.
- Able to be trained and work on our Booklog point of sale system.
- Ability to train and process online orders.
- Ability to assist with inventory management, book culls, and overall store maintenance
- Strong knowledge of the bookselling world by reading newsletters and news about the bookselling/retail industry. Ability to stay current on CHB emails.
- Ability to adapt to evolving situations. Ability to handle change with patience.
- Ability to assume the best intentions of leaders and co-workers.
- Ability to ask for clarity when needed.
- Ability to work efficiently
- Housekeeping - booksellers/bartenders are responsible for the cleanliness of the stores -- this includes the cleaning of bathrooms, community spaces regularly, bookshelves, and all surfaces. Cleaning includes sanitizing, sweeping, mopping, dusting, etc.
- Ability to cross-train for additional duties as required. Training will be provided.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Ability to stand on your feet for hours at a time.
- Ability to wear a face mask that covers your mouth and nose for the entirety of your shift.
- Works in the best interest of CHB/FD and our community.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Send us your resume and a letter of interest that includes, but is not limited to
- Name / Preferred Pronoun
- Why do you want to work at Changing Hands?
- Do you prefer one location over the other?
- Tell us why you like working with the public.
- Tell us about your favorite three books and your three favorite films.
- Can you commit to working for Changing Hands for at least one year?
- Full time employment is 30-40 hours a week. Part-time employment is a minimum of 20 hours a week. How many hours are you looking to work? Please confirm you are over the age of 18.
- What is your availability? Tell us the days of the week and times of day that you are available to work at CHB. (At least one weekend day is required.)
- List 3 references with their names, relationship to you, email, and phone number.
You can drop off your application and resume in person or email them both to firstname.lastname@example.orgBack to the top of the page ↑
→ FIRST DRAFT TEAM MEMBER - Phoenix Location
First Draft Book Bar serves coffee, beer, wine, baked goods, and small bites. First Draft is located inside Changing Hands bookstore. All bartenders/baristas share all the duties and operations of running First Draft, this includes food and beverage service, event service, busing and washing. First Draft bartender/barista is an employee of Changing Hands Bookstore. Bartenders earn a base pay of $11.50 + shared tip pool = average $18-$20 an hour. Paid Time Off (PTO) for all employees, Simple IRA, employee discount and health, dental and vision for employees 30+ hours a week.
- Bartender/Barista (B/B) creates a friendly and helpful customer experience in our store, bar and event spaces.
- Working at First Draft / Changing Hands Bookstore is a team effort. Duties include serving customers including table service, making coffee drinks, pouring wine and beer, knowing when to cut off and prevent intoxication, bake off, food prep, restocking supplies, running the register, cleaning along with other tasks as assigned. BB adheres to all Maricopa county food health guidelines.
- (B/B) does not serve anyone under 21, anyone inebriated and will not get someone inebriated. (B/B) is responsible for checking the customer’s identification and confirms it meets the drinking age.
- (B/B) has an excellent knowledge of;
- Our food and beverage selections
- Equipment and maintenance of all appliances, functions and utilities of the bar
- Full events and programming information
- The layout of the bookstore
- New books and gifts in the bookstore
- The neighborhood and other local businesses/bars
- (B/B) can lift 60 pounds or more.
- (B/B) comply with all food and beverage regulations.
- (B/B) Able to go up and downstairs.
- Has beer/wine/coffee serving experience 2+ years. Loves to serve and foster community. Able to work in a small space with team members. Understands that cleaning, organization, and being a team player is essential to our success.
- Must be able to work opening, closing shifts, and at least one weekend day.
You can drop off your application and resume in person or email them both to email@example.com
- Name / Preferred Pronoun
- Why do you want to work at First Draft?
- Tell us why you like working with the public.
- Tell us about your favorite 3 books and your favorite places to eat and drink.
- Please confirm that you are over the age of 18.
- Can you commit to working at First Draft for at least one year?
- Full time employment is 32-40 hours a week. Part-time employment is a minimum of 20 hours a week. How many hours are you looking to work?
- What is your availability to work at FD? Days of the week / Times of day.
- List 3 references, with their name, relationship to you, their email, and phone number.