|CHANGING HANDS TEMPE
6428 South McClintock Drive
Tempe, Arizona 85283
|CHANGING HANDS PHOENIX
300 West Camelback Road
Phoenix, Arizona 85013
We are currently hiring short term holiday helpers
Because we believe that marginalized communities must be centered in the work we do, we strongly encourage BIPOC persons to apply.
At Changing Hands Bookstore and First Draft Book Bar, we have a passion for the written word and believe that books can change lives. We take pleasure in being independent and locally owned. We value the opportunity to bring together books, community, beer, wine, coffee and people in a friendly atmosphere. We offer a wide selection, good value, and friendly customer service. We serve our community through our support of education and the arts and through charitable contributions to other organizations and institutions that serve our local community and human rights throughout the world.
We are committed to providing these values for all ages, including the youngest in our community. Recognizing the importance of reading and its impact on a child's development, we seek out enthusiastic booksellers with an affinity for children's literature. Our children's departments are designed to be a welcoming environment where kids and teens feel at home in a space created just for them.
The work here is highly customer-oriented, very detailed, and often physically demanding. To be successful at CHB/FD everyone must possess a passion for the written word and for our community. We highly value teamwork and communication.
COVID-19 has changed our business model. When at work, we all wear masks and require them from our customers. We practice social distancing with each other and our customers. We serve our customers in person, online, and on the phone.
Changing Hands / First Draft has a modest benefits package, which includes a staff discount, holiday and sick pay, medical plan, and a retirement plan. Other benefits to working here are less tangible, but apparent to booklovers. We operate with a participatory management style that encourages and expects involvement and communication with all employees.
Thank you again for your time and interest in Changing Hands/First Draft. Should a position become available that combines your interests and qualifications with our specific needs, you will receive a call from us.
Bookseller Job Description:
- Understanding of the CHB mission, history, and the fine details of CHB customer service, inventory, events, and food and beverage offerings at First Draft.
- Excellent and friendly service for every customer whether they be in the store, online or on the phone. Customer service requires patience, kindness, and the ability to work with diverse communities and customer needs. Excellent customer service that requires following up and following through.
- Ability to provide curbside pickup service - picking up orders and running them outside the store to the waiting customer.
- Gain an excellent knowledge of our book and gift inventory, with the ability to make recommendations and upsell merchandise. A love of reading and the ability to provide written and verbal staff recommendations for books.
- Gain complete and accurate knowledge of our in-store and virtual events and workshop programming. Able to talk about events and assist customers with registration and check-in through Eventbrite.
- Ability to properly shelve and restock books and gifts.
- Able to be trained and work on our Booklog point of sale system.
- Ability to train and process online orders.
- Ability to assist with inventory management, book culls, and overall store maintenance
- Strong knowledge of the bookselling world by reading newsletters and news about the bookselling/retail industry. Ability to stay current on CHB emails.
- Ability to adapt to evolving situations. Ability to handle change with patience.
- Ability to assume the best intentions of leaders and co-workers.
- Ability to ask for clarity when needed.
- Ability to work efficiently
- Housekeeping - booksellers/bartenders are responsible for the cleanliness of the stores -- this includes the cleaning of bathrooms, community spaces regularly, bookshelves, and all surfaces. Cleaning includes sanitizing, sweeping, mopping, dusting, etc.
- Ability to cross-train for additional duties as required. Training will be provided.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Ability to stand on your feet for hours at a time.
- Ability to wear a face mask that covers your mouth and nose for the entirety of your shift.
- Works in the best interest of CHB/FD and our community.
Send us your resume and a letter of interest that includes, but is not limited to
- Why do you want to work at Changing Hands?
- Do you prefer one location over the other?
- Tell us why you like working with the public.
- Tell us about your favorite 3 books and your 3 favorite films.
- Please let us know if you are over the age of 18.
- Can you commit to working for Changing Hands for at least one year?
- Can you work a minimum of 20 hours a week? If so, how many hours are you looking to work?
- What is your availability? Days of the week / Times of day
- List 3 references with their emails and phone numbers.
You can drop off your resume and application or email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Holiday
Pay: $12.00 - $14.00 per hour
We have plastic barriers at our counters. All staff and all customers must wear masks at all times. We clean regularly.